Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Never eat wrong breakfast. Like these....

Skipping breakfast is foolish. Eating the wrong foods first thing in the morning is worse. TOI gets nutritionists to assess the breakfast of celebs

Neil Nitin Mukesh, Actor
My day starts with a big bowl of cut fruit, a glass of juice, two egg whites and toast. Post workout, I have two egg whites and a protein shake. I follow the one-small-meal-every-twohours plan. I don't drink tea, coffee or colas.

Ishi Khosla says...
Neil is doing well with the small frequent meal plan and regular workout. I suggest he replace the fruit juice with a vegetable juice that includes beetroot. This will enhance his performance and boost his antioxidant intake too. Being high in potassium, beetroot helps beats fatigue and will help him stay energised through the day. I suggest he includes an egg yolk after the workout since it is loaded with natural vitamins and minerals like vitamin A, vitamin B, beta carotene, zinc and selenium. He could also reduce the protein powder and increase the egg whites, add a serving of soya milk along with mixed soaked nuts after the workout to get a dose of natural protein, anti-oxidants and fibre.

Shailendra Sing, corporate
My breakfasts are organic and include nuts and berries, yoghurt, porridge, eggs and milk. I soak mint leaves in hot water to make a cup of mint tea, and sweeten it with local honey.

Ishi Khosla says...
Singh seems to be having the perfect breakfast. If his BMI and waist measure optimally, then there is not much to change. Low fat yoghurt is recommended, and I'd suggest he has soya milk a few times a week to enjoy the benefits of isoflavones which protect us from disease. Since he appears to have sedentary job, a bowl of low glycemic porridge made with barley or quinoa or oats would be wonderful. Flaxseeds and walnuts will give him a dose of omega 3 heart-friendly fats.

Madhoo Shah society lady
I stay away from hot breakfast because I work out after having breakfast. I have a small bowl of either almonds or walnuts with banana or dates (at times).

Ishi Khosla says...
A fruit is always better than fruit juice. Vegetable juice with some beetroot can help enhance Madhoo's fitness performance.

Jaydeep Mukherjee chef
My breakfast is quick, convenient and easy-to-make: cornflakes with full-fat milk, oatmeal cooked in milk, eggs and toast, and very rarely does the bowl of fruit appear. On Sundays, I indulge in a loving, traditional Bengali breakfast of luchi and cholar daal (fried flour-based bread and lentil curry) or luchi and alur dom.

Ishi Khosla says...
Chefs have what I refer to as an occupational disadvantage, since they grapple with tempting foods and erratic timings. Breakfast is the one meal he can control. Assuming he has no issues with weight and health, he should include a high fibre cereal with low fat milk or yoghurt in his breakfast. Whole grain bread will give him extra fibre and keep him feeling full longer.

Ram Kapoor TV actor
I eat the same thing every morning: Two or three eggs made into an omelette or fried; toast and a glass of orange juice or coconut water accompanies my breakfast.

Ishi Khosla says...
Ram must add some nuts and seeds to his breakfast — two to three tablespoons. He must reduce the egg intake to two whites and one yolk. It's better to have whole fruit instead of juice. Substitute white bread with multi-grain bread. Vegetable juice may help boost nutrition. Muesli with dairy milk or curd could replace eggs and toast on some days.

Shankar Mahadevan composer and singer
My breakfast varies every day. It could be fruit one day, cereal, eggs or idli, dosa, upma another.... Each day is different. But good coffee is a must!

Shonali Sabherwal, says...
Substitute white rice idlis with brown rice idlis and dosas. I'd caution him against eating cereal-from-a-box. Preserved foods are high in sugar. I'd suggest he eat a 'live' breakfast of cooked dalia instead. Eggs are good but accompany them with a roti instead of bread. It's a good idea to surprise your body with variety. Coffee should be in moderation since it's acidic content may hamper digestion.

Dr Lekha Pathak, cardiologist
I breakfast like a king — coconut water, milk without cream, almonds, walnuts, two egg whites, cereal or muesli or toast with fat-free butter or dalia and some fruit. After a luxurious first meal, I tend to skip lunch.

Shonali Sabherwal, says...
Coconut is excellent in any form. Almonds and walnuts are healthy nut snacks. Butter, fat-free or not, should be out of your diet since it can cause trouble by keeping your digestive lining damp and promoting un-healthy bacteria in your gut. Also, cereal is good as long it's cooked, and muesli is okay just once a week. You could drop the toast. Even if the bread pack says 'whole wheat', it still contains yeast which is not your digestive system's friend.

Ashwin Sanghi, author
I do my writing in the early morning hours. What sustains me when I wake up is a strong cup of coffee. After I am done with my writing (usually around 9 am), I have breakfast. Indian items like idli-sambar, poha, moong daal dhokla or upma are favourites. There are days, however, when I replace my Indian breakfast with a yoghurt smoothie blended with fresh seasonal fruit.

Shonali Sabherwal, says...
Idlis and poha made from brown rice are better since they provide you with a sustained dose of sugars that can help up brain activity. White rice will set him up for another craving in the day. I'd recommend upma once a week. The yogurt smoothie is a good breakfast item so long as Ashwin relies on fruit sugars, and doesn't add table sugar.

Vaibhavi Merchant, choreographer
I have lime water and honey on an empty stomach. My breakfast is usually one of the three: If I know I am going to have a long day, I eat four egg whites made into a bhurji, and unsweetened oats. This is followed by tea with a dash of milk and 1 tsp honey. Else, I eat just fruits, preferably seasonal fruits. I like apples, pears, watermelon and any type of melon. I restrict my intake of mangoes. The third type of breakfast includes unsweetened oats and a cup of tea.

Source : TOI

No comments:

Post a Comment